Food waste per capita in the EU remained stable in 2021

In 2021, around 131 kilogrammes (kg) of food per inhabitant were wasted in the EU. In total, the EU produced 58.4 million tonnes of food waste, which includes edible and inedible parts.

Among all economic groups, household waste accounted for most: 54% of the total amount of food waste, the equivalent of 70 kg per inhabitant. The remaining 46% was waste generated upwards in the food supply chain: 21% by the manufacture of food products and beverages group (28 kg), 9% by restaurants and food services (12 kg), 9% in the primary production (11 kg) and 7% in the retail group (9 kg).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.