The foundation, formed by BIR but run as an independent organisation, will promote and support the global recycling industry in its mission to showcase the crucial role of recycling in preserving the planet’s future.
BIR president Ranjit Baxi claims the foundation a direct result of the success of the Global Recycling Day 2018. Global Recycling Day 2019 will be the biggest activity supported by the foundation.
He also claimed the creation of the foundation to be a crucial step in securing the future of the Global Recycling Day and other initiatives aiming at the promotion of a global and united approach to recycling.
The Global Recycling Foundation has nine primary goals which underpin its mission to ensure recycling remains central to the preservation of the planet’s resources and future:
1. Continue to support and celebrate Global Recycling Day on 18 March every year
2. Promote the prioritization of the Seventh Resource
3. Foster the promotion of recycling across the world and support and share best practices and innovation
4. Protect biodiversity
5. Commit to and promote eco-responsibility and the circular economy
6. Encourage responsible, sustainable and inclusive environmental actions to the benefit of ecological developments
7. Support statistical, economic and social studies in the field of recycling
8. Support research and innovation in the field of recycling
9. Support educational programmes, university and scientific research in the field of recycling.
„The role of the Foundation is to show the world that Recycling is a collective endeavour, crucial for the future of the planet. No-one can act in isolation and it is imperative we engage the widest population possible, from BIR members to world leaders, businesses to individuals – no matter where they are located. The establishment of the Global Recycling Foundation will underpin this mission, and ensure a global approach, supporting joint initiatives and achieving goals to foster better recycling practices into the future“, Baxi says.
He states that the Global Recycling Foundation will be a private foundation formed by the BIR. With Baxi as president, BIR treasurer Tom Bird will be vice president and BIR executive comittee member David Chiao will be the first board member.
The Foundation will use funds from donors and partners across the globe to foster promotional and educational campaigns which highlight the vital role of recycling in creating a sustainable future for the planet. Donations may be eligible for tax benefits and donors will be able to build their involvement into the Corporate and Social Responsibility programmes.
Arnaud Brunet, Director General of BIR, comments: „The launch of the Global Recycling foundation is a vitally important step in raising the awareness and growing the amount of recycling across the world. We at BIR have long been saying recycling is too important to anything other than a global issue. For 70 years we have been working with the industry and world leaders to ensure recycling, and recycled goods, remain at the top of the ecology agenda.“